Tuesday, March 13, 2012

It's 5 o'clock somewhere . . .

Daylight Savings!! Ok, so I actually really hate daylight savings, it's pretty dumb. Why can't we just have it stay lighter later all the time?? Anyways, so now it's not dark until after 7 pm so tracting is pretty ok now. At least now we can see when people's crazy dogs are about to chase after us. P.s. thank you Sis. Balmforth for the email title.

Pretty interesting week, very exhausting. We taught seminary on Wednesday and Thursday at 6 am. Normally 6 is early, but when you're a missionary and already short on sleep, it's killer. And it was way boring haha. We were talking about 2 Kings and wicked and righteous kings of Judah and Israel and we're going over this list of crazy king names and half way through I stopped and was like, "This is so boring!" So we summarized the lesson really quickly and then told funny stories. Much better. The next day we took them donuts and talked about how important the scriptures are. That was cool, cause the scriptures are important, ya know?

Oh, on Tuesday, we woke up and went into our living room and it seemed unusually light outside for 6:30 so I looked out the window and what did I see? Popcorn popping on the apricot tree! Ok, not really, just a bunch of snow on the ground. That was pretty crazy but it melted by the time we had to go out and work so it was ok. Basically Washington weather has been pretty moody cause in the last week we've had snow, sunshine, and, today, we're back to regular rain.

On Sunday we both got to speak in sacrament meeting again. I don't know who keeps thinking this, but missionaries don't just have time to prepare a 10-15 min talk in 4 days or less. We got the assignment last Wednesday. Sis. Balmforth spoke on "Doing the right thing, at the right time, without delay" (a really great talk from last conference by Elder Alonzo) and I got to speak on "A Witness" by President Eyring. It was really cool preparing for that talk. It was one of those times where you are assigned that topic because there is something you specifically need to learn about it. He talks about 3 promises we make when we are baptized: that we will become charitable, that we will become witnesses, and that we will endure. He says that a truly converted child of God is someone who strives to keep these three promises. I talked about my step-dad, Joe, and how he has been a really great example of this to me. Sis. Balmforth talked about following the Holy Ghost and how being on a mission she has seen a lot of miracles because she was doing the right thing at the right time, how Joseph Smith was a really great example of doing the right thing even when it was hard, and about seeing her dad always serving others. It was a really great meeting, finished up by Elder Finnegan who spoke on the teachings of Christ. I loved speaking with both of them, the Spirit was so strong hearing their testimonies.

So, I think I talked about our new investigator Mariah last week. She came to FHE on Monday and when she introduced herself she said (you can't make this up), "I started learning about the church last Thursday, I haven't officially joined yet, but I'm up next to get baptized." WHAT?? That was so cool. We were supposed to meet with her on Wednesday and we were going to commit her to be baptized....on Sunday......but it fell through cause she and her roommate, Meghan who was baptized last week, weren't feeling that great. So we met with them on Saturday instead and had a really great lesson about the Restoration and Mariah was just soaking it all in. You could tell she understood it and knew it was true. She's been reading the Book of Mormon and feels the Spirit when she does. When she was at church yesterday and saw Meghan get confirmed and receive the Holy Ghost she told us afterward that it felt like the Holy Ghost was right there with them. She is so prepared and we are so excited to keep teaching her.

Zebediah is coming along. We had to go on a split last Tuesday so I didn't get to teach him, but we are still working with him. He's had all the lessons and now we just have to help him get to the point where he wants to be baptized and not wait. I went and taught Sonia, who we haven't seen in over a month. She hadn't been reading her scriptures or anything so we talked about doing that more and how it would help her in her life. It was way cool because she is concerned that she isn't sure if her faith is strong enough and she doesn't want to change if she doesn't have faith, etc. but I promised her if she just put it to the test that her faith and her desire to change her life would grow together. They have to grow together, they can't work separately. When I promised her that, she looked at me and said, "I have no doubt that that will happen." Now she just needs to do it and she'll understand why the gospel is true and why baptism is so important.

We read a really cool scripture yesterday in Sunday School. It's 2 Nephi 26:23-25. It talks about how the Lord works in light, not darkness, and he invites all men to come unto Him. It's so important to remember that Heavenly Father wants us to be happy. I read a cool quote about how the commandments are not barriers or meant to get in our way, but they are guideposts for our lives and they will help us go in the right direction and not fly into outer space or anything crazy like that.

That's kind of all I have for this week. We had a really fun week, laughed a lot and worked hard. Things are going great here and they're just getting better. I love my mission, I love Jesus, I love my companion, and I love my mom. And the rest of my family. Really though, you don't realize how awesome they are until they aren't around you so much anymore. Other families are great, but they;re just not your own. Hope everyone has a great week. Write me some letters, send some pictures :) I promise I'll write back...it just takes me forever and a million years. I'm getting better at it though. Love you!!!

Love,

Sister Chronister

No comments:

Post a Comment