Thursday, July 26, 2012

Take good care of her!


Well, well, well. What to say about this last week. Pretty fun, I think. You know, when I keep up with my journal it's a lot easier to remember what happened this week so I can write about it without having to look at my planner. I'll be better this week, I promise dear journal....
 
I got to see the one nad only Katee Balmforth!!!! It was a glorious, frozen yogurt and pancake-filled reunion (on separate occassions, those two things would have been pretty weird together.....). I'm sure everyone already knows because of Facebook, but she is doing great. And she kept warning me that coming home from a mission is not fun. Good thing I don't have to worry about that for another 10 months. Ha!
 
We had another amazing miracle with someone we haven't heard from in a while.....Jane. I had been avoiding calling her because the last few times we talked to her she was super non-committal and it's hard to pour so much into someone who is not ready or willing to make committments. So I called her one more time, on Tuesday, just to see if she would answer. She did and we talked for a few minutes. I was in the middle of challenging her to come to church and explaining why it's so important when call disconnected. I don't reallyknow what happened, but we had to go anyways so I figured if she wanted to call back, she would. A few hours later, the phone started ringing. We were out finding, so nothing too exciting was happening, but I looked at the caller ID and it was Jane. She said that she had been at work, doing some house-cleaning and these words suddenly came to her: "My name is Jane Wainina. I'm from Kenya, East Africa, and I'm a Mormon." She asked if she could come to the church. Heck yeah!! We met her at the bus stop when she got off work and waled up to the building. We had an incredible church tour with her and she kept asking what she needed to do in order to be baptized. We told her to come to church on Sunday and to meet with us so we could teach her the gospel. She asked to meet us one more time againm before Sunday so she could feel ready for it.
 
Saturday we found a member to pick her up and bring her to the church since she has no money for a bus pass. She looked sooo good! She was dressed in a nice shirt and dress slacks. It was a very different looking Jane from the one I had sat with on the bus a few weeks ago. We had a great lesson on the gospel, she said a great prayer at the end, and she looked so happy.
 
Sunday, she came to church!!! She looked so happy and peaceful. Then we found out that there was a relative of someone in the previous ward that was visiting, who happened to be the area authority over West Africa. Hmmmm....After Sacrament meeting Jane went and met the bishop and a random man came over and kind of interrupted and introduced himself. He was the general authority. He talked to Jane, told her that his counselor was Elder Sitati, from Nairobi, Kenya. Crazy!! He said he would have him write her a letter. I was standing right next to Jane and he looked at me and said, "Are you teaching her?" "Yes, I am/" "Take good care of her." "I will."
 
So there it is, a charge from a general authority to take good care of Jane. She loved church and is ready to be baptized, as soon as we can get her taught and help her quit smoking. She is ready!!!
 
Huge miracle. I love that God is so good at timing. He always gets everything right. We should just trust Him. So many great things are happening. We have a lot of really solid people we are teaching, and if I had more time I would tell you more about them, but trust me, they are awesome. Hope you all have a great week. I love you!!!
 
Sister Chronister

No comments:

Post a Comment