Tuesday, September 4, 2012

We shall see Him as He is


So last Tuesday I was cleaning out the car and forgot mid-way through moving from the back seat to the trunk that there is a GIANT metal pole right by our parking spot, and as I turned I was abruptly stopped by the clang of my head and foot hitting the pole. Ahhh well, worse things have happened and I escaped with naught but a bruise. Luckily no one was watching, but my companion did hear it from the bathroom in our apartment, so it was pretty loud.
 
THEN on Saturday we got to go over to Anderson Island to help with their annual parade/fair. There were 10 missionaries that came and we ran all of the games at the fair. Don't get your hopes up on it though, this parade was about half the size of the Show Low 4th of July parade. If you haven't heard of Show Low, don't worry about it, but this one was even smaller. I had the privilege of running the [rubber] duck pond. A kid gives me a ticket, picks up a duck, looks at the number on the bottom, and tries to get another duck with the same number on the bottom. What happens if they don't get it? Try again until they do!  Everyone is a winner. So great. However, right at the end we were playing a little game of hot potato and someone goes, "Ah watch out for the bee" and before I can even blink I feel its dumb little stinger jab into the palm of my hand. The little bugger escaped before I could spread his little bee guts all over the ground. Bee stings suck.
 
The work has slowed down a little here, but we are keeping the faith that there is someone out there for us to teach. We just have to go and find them. Our family from the Congo came to the ward bbq on Friday and loved it, but didn't make it to church on Sunday. Good thing missionaries are stubborn, persistent, and somewhat stalker-ish. We'll get them there.
 
I suppose I should explain the title of this one. Moroni 7:48: "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen."
 
This scripture was pressing on my mind all week, and I would almost dare say that it is my favortie verse in the Book of Mormon. My favorite part is where it says "that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is." I had to spend a fair amount of time during personal study to really figure out what this means. After reading about charity and how we become more Christlike, I finally got it. When we see Christ as He truly is, our Brother, Redeemer, Shepard, Savior, and Friend, then we understand Him and we love Him. When we understand that and have a personal relationship with him then we desire to become more like Him. To be patient, full of love, long-suffering, gentle, meek, humble, faithful, hopeful, wise, and charitable. The Savior Himself said it best: "If ye love me, keep my commandments." What He really means is, if you truly love me, you will only have desires to keep my commandments. That is what we are all striving for. Love the Savior, love God, love your neighbors. These are the first and great commandments. Everything else just falls into place.
 
I hope you all have a great week. Remember, you friendly neighborhood missionaries love mail haha. Love you!!
 
Sister Chronister

No comments:

Post a Comment