Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!!

So, it's 2012. Wooooo..... Supposedly the world is going to end this year, so I guess it's time to buckle down and work hard. Man, I am drawing a blank right now on what to write. We started getting up in the mornings and running. There is a loop around our apartment that is about 1/2 mile long (we found that out later, after we clocked it with our car) and every day except Sunday we've dragged ourselves out of bed and ran. I'm so proud of myself, mostly because it's freezing. Luckily, because the altitude is so low here it's super easy to breathe and I have some awesome ear warmers that help a lot when it comes to trying to maintain body temperature. This morning though, since it's P day we decided to run at 9 instead of 6:30, which was a good thing since a certain companion of mine was a little (a lot) bitter about getting out of bed that early. It was pretty funny.

I have a special request. I love the song "Nearer, My God, to Thee" and I was wondering if somehow someone could look up the history of it (who wrote it, any stories behind it, etc.--try Wikipedia) and send it to me. Just curious. Oh, and I've been trying to get a hold of a copy of the talk by Elder Holland Called "None Were With Him." So, if someone is bored and wants to look into that for me and mail it to me, that would be great.

New Year's was pretty interesting. We had to be in at 7 unless we were at a member's or investigator's home, then we had to be home by 9. We hung out at the Finnegan's. We played some games (5 Crowns, I completely dominated. No really, everyone else's scores were like 200+, 168, 187 and I had 39. Yeeeahhh.) and watched the Testaments. The Testaments was wayyyy good and I haven't laughed as hard as I did playing cards in a long, long time. We were in bed by 10:30 but we stayed awake until it was midnight in Utah and Arizona (11 WA time) and fell asleep a few minutes after that.

We got to teach our new investigator again this week. That was an interesting lesson. She has a super short attention span so we just went over the Book of Mormon, but we forgot that we hadn't talked about Joseph Smith and our relationship with God or anything like that so we had to backtrack some and just tell her that we would show her a video (Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration) next time. She was ok with that. She's been really religious all her life so she likes to say prayers at the end of the lesson. That's a pretty great start if you ask me.

This week we ended up studying a lot about consecration and what it really means to live a consecrated life. It's really interesting because the more you think about it, the more it's in everything that we talk about, we just don't always realize it. I also got to speak in church yesterday. I was the youth speaker and I talked about how Christlike attributes (I picked obedience, faith in Christ, hope, and humility) help us become better followers of Christ. I was glad I got to speak on that because it was a really great opportunity for me to study those attributes and see what I need to work on. I love studying the scriptures and the gospel. It never ever gets old.

We're going to work really hard this week on getting referrals from members, being super diligent during our 5-7's and coming up with better ways to approach people about learning more about the church. We don't have much going on in the way of teaching, but we know we just have to work harder and try everything we can and wait for that miracle that the Lord has waiting. It is definitely testing my patience and faith but if that's what I need right now, then that's what I'll do. I just gotta keep swimming.

That's about all I have for now. Love you and miss you.

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment